Walking through Sacile, glimpses of ancient defence system of the city can be caught: strong walls, doors and towers.
Today, Sacile shows some significant traces of the fortress and walls that protected the medieval and patriarchal town, witnessing its original role of military outpost in Friuli.
In the past, Sacile was defended by a wall with five towers, three of which still exist today in the city centre.
The most ancient tower dates back to the 13th century and was built along with defence walls against Hungarian invasions in the 10th century. It is located behind Duomo di San Nicolò, close to the walkway that leads to Campo Marzio and that looks onto Canale della Pietà and the buildings of Piazza del Popolo.
The towers of San Rocco and the tower of Foro Boario were built between 1470 and 1485 in order to protect the city from the Turkish invasion. They were part of a large defence system and were connected by underground passages.
The imposing tower of San Rocco with the remains of walls in Largo Salvadorini is particularly important: it bears the Winged Lion of Saint Mark, a visible residue and direct evidence of the presence of the Republic of Venice under Giovanni Mocenigo, Doge at that time.
With its well-preserved tower and the defensive walls of the city, Foro Boario allows for a good, though limited overview of the defence structure of the city, built around an old patriarchal castle, which then became the headquarters of the first Venetian Podestà (chief magistrate).
Recent requalification works led to the creation of a walkway outside the walls, along the river Livenza, continuing with a suggestive passage flanking the tower until the park of Pra’ Castelvecchio.